Monday 30 July 2012

Knowledge vs. Wisdom

A great Zen proverb reminded me of my past life in technology-related jobs...
Knowledge is learning something new every day.
Wisdom is letting go of something every day.
I remember I was asked the question at a job interview once - whether I knew my range in-depth or had the wisdom to fully understand the extent of the range. In any job interview situation the instinct is to make yourself look as good and clever as possible so, of course, I had the wisdom!

Bligh me, did I have work to do if I got the job?!?!?! Oh yeah!

I have never applied for a job I was fully qualified to do because my reasoning has always been that if I know all I will be doing in a job then I will quickly get bored.... and I did get the job by the way. 

And isn't that what it is about? Extending ourselves beyond what we know in order to grow? I believe it is and I believe it builds the kind of confidence that allow for us to create little (or big) miracles within ourselves and stretching out beyond.

Through my work with spreading laughter through teaching Laughter Yoga to individuals and teams and whole organisations there is a huge element of learning in every workshop and course I run.

Laughter Yoga, therapeutic laughter, laughter coaching - whichever label you add to the work I do, the inept wisdom it represents is there and available to anyone who wish to be a student in life and of life. I never get tired of learning!

The perspective it adds to what we know and what we don't know and what we don't even know we don't know is truly mind-buggling and very exciting if you like learning and understanding the lessons life brings about.
 
I believe we, as people, are at a stage in our life cycle where we must look inside in order to preserve and rebuild what is around us for a caring view instead of one of all-consuming want'ism.  There is a reason more and more of us seek knowledge in the ancient wisdom that we used to live by when we had less things and required less to lead a good life.

People are looking inside and looking for ways to improve health and wellbeing - not just for the self but for the environment, our communities, and humankind in general. 

And it all starts in one place... Too many people think that they cannot do anything because they are just 'one person' but the ripple effect has been around for a long time and it doesn't stop once you take the step...

Always trust that your step makes a BIG difference!

And remember, I cannot help but adding my view and thoughts along with what I think is going on - it doesn't mean you agree. However, it does mean that I send you lots of love, healing, giggles, guffaws, and kind thoughts, and whichever are appropriate for you at this moment in time are the ones you will get.

On that note, I wish you a lifetime of growth and wonders!

No comments: